Saturday, March 20, 2010

Pray for those you don't want to pray for...

Luke 6:26-36
There are people I love doing things for, you know, the people that are such a blessing in your life you can't wait to give back. There are people that I love to pray for, you know, the one's that pray for you and are there when you need them, the one's that deserve God's touch and blessing.

Why does Jesus always have to mess up my system! In Luke 6, Jesus wants me and yes, you, to pray for people we don't want to pray for! You know, the people that mistreat you, say unkind things about you, harm you, hit you, take things from you, and the list goes on. What is He thinking?

Try it sometime and you will know exactly what Jesus is thinking... If I try to pray for someone I am angry at or hurt by or at odds with, I choke on the words! They don't come so easily. Since the prayer is affected it is a quick clue that my heart is infected and I have some spiritual surgery to do. I have learned to truly love and embrace this principle of Jesus', as it brings true freedom to the heart. When we can, in sincerity, pray for someone that is an "enemy", it reveals a heart that has mercy, trusts in God, forgives, and a heart that is more like Jesus. After all, He isn't asking us to do something He didn't already model. On the cross, as He was being cursed, assailed, spit upon, and dying... He prayed for those that you and I wouldn't want to pray for... "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do!"... He prayed for me and you.

Dear Jesus,
I praise you that your love overcame my position as your enemy and you have brought me into a relationship with you like none other. Thank you that you call me friend. Lord, your heart is so merciful and loving, thank you that you call me to practice love and mercy in the secret place of my prayer closet. Thank you, Lord, that as I learn to truly pray with sincere grace and love, when I am in the world it will more readily flow from me. I so want to love like you love.
Reveal who I need to pray for , who I need to forgive, and who I don't really want to pray for; then Lord, please give me your heart for them.
In Jesus Name,
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this. Been there and done that and it has truly changed me. Thanks for your wonderful teachings!

    ReplyDelete

What would you like to know about prayer?