Sunday, March 7, 2010

Heavenly Kareoke

Psalm 105:1-4

We have a daughter that sings like an angel...no really! I am not just a bragging mom, well I am, but she really has an amazing voice in spite of me! She has been singing since she was two. The day I noticed a two year old singing in perfect pitch was the day I knew there was something going on with our toddler besides just the terrible two's! She joined the kiddie choir at church, performed in the Christmas plays, etc. Sang at school from elementary all the way to college where she traveled the world, literally, singing. We loved hearing her sing on stage...but that meant a lot of singing behind the scenes! Not to mention the warm-ups! I always knew when she was happy because she would sing...sing while dressing, while cleaning, while running errands...happy = singing in her world.


I have to confess that we were not always the adoring fans that you would expect. Her loud projection for the stage would become deafening at times...dinner time was not acceptable as a stage...and then there were the opera years! Unfortunately we are guilty of "sushing!"


Now she lives in another state, and I hear her very rarely. Oh how I miss my singing girl around the house! We went on a family cruise last year and we all begged her to get up and sing during kareoke. She really doesn't like doing that because honestly, none of the rest of us can compete once she has taken the stage. It was my parents 50th anniversary and they soooo wanted her to sing...so she relented. Well, she was such a hit, everyone started coming to the kareoke forum each night to hear her sing. And honestly, I couldn't get enough of her...I missed it so much.


This Psalm speaks of singing to the Lord, singing praises to His name. It reminds us to remember the Lord and to respond with singing. Ok, her is the personal confession, kareoke was on my bucket list...and yes, to the dismay of my entire family, I was going to break through and sing kareoke. I will use the word "sing" very loosely in this context! Needless to say, I have been requested, no banned, from ever singing kareoke again...at least in the presence of my family!


God loves to hear us sing to Him. I saw the faces of my parents as they watched with joy and pride as Sarah blessed them with song. How must God look as He hears us reflect back to Him special memories of times we have shared with Him. Love songs to our King of Kings and Lord of Lords. Songs of victory, songs of mourning, songs of celebration, songs of longing, songs that direct our heart toward Him.


We miss Sarah's music, it brings such joy to our hearts. Let us not leave God wanting and waiting for us to take center stage, at least in our minds, and perform for an audience of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to know about prayer?