Saturday, March 6, 2010

Eat Carpet

2Chronicles 7:14
This verse is quoted often and it encourages us as a people to pray. Unfortunately prayer alone will not bring about the healing of the land that is promised in this passage. I love the progression that is expressed in this verse. "If" denotes the fact that it is possible for God's people not to do what is in this verse...we have a choice.

It goes on to speak of those that "are called by My name". Are we willing to be identified openly with Christ. Are we recognized as being one of God's children wherever we go, or only at church?

"Will humble themselves and pray" is the first response to our choice to do what God is calling us to as a people readily identified as His. We can pray...say words that sound amazing, but the heart reveals the posture in which those words are expressed. As the words come out of our mouths in prayer, are we surrendered inside, repentant, remorseful over our sin...or is there a part that is still prepared to go back and sin again? Humility in prayer is essential. Without our understanding that we must lower ourselves and stop trying to run our lives our way, there will never be true repentance. I refer to this as "eating carpet"! When I am boastful and proud, inside my heart I am standing tall on my tippy toes trying to get up in God's face and tell Him how I think things should go. When I am humble, in my heart I am surrendered, on my face in a contrite position of worship and rest at His feet...eating carpet!

Repentance is turning...walking on another path, the path of righteousness. We can't get there in rebellion or pride. That path is only open to those that are humble before their God willing to surrender all. And the promise of this verse is why we quote it so often... God will, "hear from heaven, forgive our sins, and heal our land." Oh what a promise!

Eating carpet doesn't sound appetizing, but for the soul it is a feast!

Father,
I come to you acknowledging that I am yours, called by your name, identified with Christ Jesus my Lord. I confess that I have sinned against you with pride, self reliance, and independence apart from your will and your ways. Lord, I want to turn, to walk on your path of righteousness at all times. I praise you for the righteousness that is mine in Christ, and I pray that you will direct my path that I live a life that chooses and reflects that righteousness at all times. I bow at your feet, acknowledging that you are God and I am not. I rest in your shadow, trusting in your will. Thank you for hearing my prayer, thank you for forgiving my sins, and Lord I praise you that you will heal our land. Stir us as a people, Lord, that we will respond to this verse in true humility.
In Jesus Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to know about prayer?