Monday, February 8, 2010

Breath Prayers

There have been a few times in my life where I couldn't seem to muster up a prayer. The words just wouldn't come, the heart was too heavy, the mind too cluttered, the burdens too great. The only word I could get out was "Jesus". Just His name. Or is it "just" a name? His name is above every name, and at the name of Jesus every knew will bow in heaven and earth and below the earth! That is quite a name! It is a name that moves mountains, quiets storms, and invokes the presence of the Holy Spirit.

I had heard teaching on this practice I had stumbled upon out of desparation and realized it was an ancient practice! Some call it centering prayer, or breath prayers. It is where you take a name for God, or a phrase about God and in moments throughout the day you say the phrase or word as a conscious way of immediately connecting with God.

I liken it to when my husband and I are out for the day. There are times of sharing, laughing, and times of silence. When we are just sitting or walking in the quiet, and one of us reaches out and just takes a hand, or touches a shoulder, it is immediate connection. It speaks of our awareness of each other and our desire to just "be" with each other in the moment.

As I go through a day, often I will just stop and say his name..."Jesus", or "thank you Lord", or "I love you God"... Then I go on. It is a quick moment of prayer, connection, awareness, and tenderness. It keeps me mindful of His presence and my dependency upon Him.

I pray you will spiritually "breathe" with me today!


"Lord, you are worthy! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What would you like to know about prayer?